School Supply Drive to Help NYC Youth Achieve Success!
In preparation for this upcoming school year, Magilla will be supporting NY Foundling in helping NYC foster youth achieve academic success. To participate in this year's virtual school suppy drive, simply choose a TEAM to join below and click SHOP to purchase items to be shipped directly to NY Foundling and distributed to the kids in need! The team who donates the most items will win a team happy hour and have their donation matched by Magilla!
In addition, you will be emailed a tax receipt at the time of purchase. Plus 5% of the retail value of all items purchased will be gifted back to The Foundling.
ABOUT NYC FOSTER YOUTH & NY FOUNDLING
Youth in foster care face significant challenges that reduce their academic opportunities and make it more challenging to achieve success. Insecure housing, switching schools, weak community supports, and compounding challenges widen the opportunity and achievement gaps for these young people, creating real differences in outcomes:
- - 25% of NYC foster youth who started high school in 2015 graduated in 4-years (an improvement from 2008 when 15% of youth graduated, but still below the 77% rate for the general population)
- - 43% of NYC foster youth above the age of 16 miss more than half the school year
- - More than 1 in 5 NYC foster youth repeat a grade (compared with 1 in 13 for general population)
- - Roughly 40% of NYC foster students have a disability
- - Less than 3% of foster youth graduate from a 4-year college
The thousands of foster youth in NYC schools must overcome high hurdles to thrive, but these challenges are far from insurmountable.
The New York Foundling provides holistic, evidence-based programming and preventative services to foster youth, their families, and those at risk of entering the child welfare system. Through our services, such as trauma-informed tutoring, school based mental health support, educational plans, and peer advocates, we see students transform their lives.
From everyone at The Foundling, thank you! Your contributions will strengthen our community by helping kids have a fresh start this fall with the tools they need to succeed. If you have any questions, please reach out to Laura Wright at Partners@NYFoundling.org.