Support NYC foster youth striving towards academic success!
Ensuring that every student is prepared to start the school year is a fundamental way you can support foster youth in accomplishing their goals.
Youth in foster care face significant challenges that reduce their academic opportunities and make it more challenging to achieve success. Insecure housing, switching schools, weak community supports, and compounding challenges widen the opportunity and achievement gaps for these young people, creating real differences in outcomes:
- - 25% of NYC foster youth who started high school in 2015 graduated in 4-years (an improvement from 2008 when 15% of youth graduated, but still below the 77% rate for the general population)
- - 43% of NYC foster youth above the age of 16 miss more than half the school year
- - More than 1 in 5 NYC foster youth repeat a grade (compared with 1 in 13 for general population)
- - Roughly 40% of NYC foster students have a disability
- - Less than 3% of foster youth graduate from a 4-year college
The thousands of foster youth in NYC schools must overcome high hurdles to thrive, but these challenges are far from insurmountable.
The New York Foundling provides holistic, evidence-based programming and preventative services to foster youth, their families, and those at risk of entering the child welfare system. Through our services, such as trauma-informed tutoring, school based mental health support, educational plans, and peer advocates, we see students transform their lives.
Donating supplies is easy! Either:
- Click on SHOP NOW to purchase the goods you would like to donate.
- Click on JOIN NOW to start your own campaign and track progress towards your goal.
You will be emailed a tax receipt at the time of purchase. At the end of the drive all goods ordered online will be shipped directly to The New York Foundling to be distributed to kids in need. Plus 5% of the retail value of items will be gifted back to The Foundling.
From everyone at The Foundling, thank you! Your contributions will strengthen our community by helping kids have a fresh start this fall with the tools they need to succeed. If you have any questions, please reach out to Laura Wright at Partners@NYFoundling.org.