Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. dedicated his life to serving others. As a pastor and the most influential civil rights activist of the 20th century, Martin Luther King Jr. has inspired generations of people to stand up for what is right and to peaceably take action against racism, injustice, inequality and poverty. On January 15th, 2024, Martin Luther King Jr. National Day of Service, we at YouGiveGoods invite you to take action with us, engage with your community, and help bring about a positive change in the world to carry on Martin Luther King Jr.’s legacy.
How will you serve this MLK Day of Service? Consider these 5 ways to do your part:
- Volunteer: Check community websites and media outlets for a listing of local MLK Day volunteer opportunities or search for opportunities using AmeriCorps' searchable database.
- Learn: Educate yourself by attending a talk, workshop, performance or exhibition. Can't make it to a local event? Check out virtual exhibitions offered through The King Center. In better understanding the work that Dr. King did during his lifetime, strides made through his legacy, and challenges still faced today, we can be more active in helping to further MLK's vision.
- Donate: Help your neighbors in need by raising or donating to local charities. Host an online drive raising food and/or supplies for your favorite local nonprofit and invite family, friends, and community members to donate. Learn more about YouGiveGoods virtual giving platform.
- Simple Acts of Service: Gather a few friends and pick up trash at a park, visit with the elderly at a Senior Center, help your neighbor by carrying in groceries - Every act small act of service helps to bring us closer together and build stronger communities.
- Spread the word: Post on social media with #MLKDay to get others inspired.
You can find more ideas, resources, and a MLK Day Toolkit on AmeriCorps.gov. See how others are utilizing YouGiveGoods to help build up their local communities. However you choose to participate we encourage you to get involved, reach out, and help build a Beloved Community.